Re: Ceramics Question

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Numo Jaeger and Michael Miller (jaegmil)
Wed, 03 Sep 1997 08:48:07 -0400

Respond to this message.

Scott,

>Do you want to use commercial glazes or do you want to mix up your own
cone 6 glazes?

>I have successfully used the Laguna Cone 5 glazes (formerly called Morocan
Sand) with my adult and high school students. I fired the glazes at cone 6
which seemed to improve their visual quality along with the added benefit
of making the clay body just a little more vitrified.

>Duncan commercial underglazes fired at cone 6 are not as bright as when
they are fired at cone 04 but they work just fine.

>Is there any particular reason why you are using a red clay vs. a white
clay body?

>Numo
>
>At 10:16 AM 9/2/97 +0000, you wrote:
>>I teach Ceramics 3 periods a day at the high school level and have
>>always fired our electric to cone 04 for glaze. I want to try firing to
>>cone 6 and wonder if anybody out there has any suggestions on glazes,
>>underglaze, or engobes. I am using a cone six red clay from Laguna. We
>>also fire Raku in a small gas kiln. Thanks, Scott Harrison

Respond to this message.