Re: critiques and faculty change

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sara Broers (saralb)
Mon, 30 Sep 1996 19:32:27 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 28 Sep 1996, Sidnie Miller wrote:

> Speaking of faculty change--I would like to hear some comments about this
> question. The University of Nevada is the college that I have had most
> connection with lately, but it seems to me that college art instructors
> have a giant prejudice against anything pretty. If you want a good review
> or critique--your work had better be fairly violent and should contain a
> liberal amount of vaginas and penises. I'm trying to decide if this is a
> college thing or if professors just encourage it by making fun of anyone
> who persues " pretty" art as being trite. I think there is a prejudice
> that unless college art is shocking and sort of a break from their moral,
> goody-goody high school experience--it isn't art. What do you think??Sid

SID--
I think this is very interesting because I have NOT had a similar
experience and am very glad. I feel most of my work is critiqued on
improvements in technical qualities. Now that I am in upper division
painting, I am finally beginning to deal more with content then
technique, but as long as I hvave a buyable reason for something, it
works. It definately does not have to be violent or sexual.
Sara Broers
Colorado State U. >