Re: multicultural ed. in art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
henry (taylorh)
Mon, 30 Sep 1996 17:37:59 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 29 Sep 1996 ELENI53 wrote:

> I believe a good, solid art education (design principles and elements,etc) is
> being sacrificed by an emphasis on art education within
> multiculturalism......at least we had to go this route in our school district
> in order to keep art iinstruction in K-6 education. It was go via
> multicultural art or little support for the visual arts at all.
>
> 'Leni

It needn't be unless we wish to restrict ourselves to the design
principles and elements of Europe. I think that a "good, solid" approach
to the foundational principles can be had with the inclusion of
traditional principles and elements from many sources, or, if you will,
cultures.

For example, it is interesting to contrast the roots of the western
tradition, art of the Tigris and Nile valleys with early Chinese art and
principles or with the "ledger book" art of 19th Century Native Americans.

henry