Re: Discrimination in art critiques

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Teresa Tipton (ttipton.wa.us)
Sun, 29 Sep 1996 10:08:16 -0700 (PDT)

Several years ago the NEA published a study examining positive comments
versus negative comments from teachers to students during an average day.
The findings were something on the order of 25 negative comments verses 3
comments of praise. While this may say something about our culture, it
also says something about the stress level teachers endure and how they
respond. The result, think, is evident not just in art programs but
throughout all professions. After eight years in academia, I find the
passive aggressive stance is more common a manifestation of such
conditioning, whereas the "off with your head" frontal attack is more
modern and sometimes evident on listserves.

Teresa Tipton