Re: painting teachers

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Terry Barrett (barrett.8)
Fri, 27 Sep 1996 09:48:22 -0400

>In a message dated 96-09-27 Fred wrote:

>Terry,
>In a way, I think you might be missing my point. When I say that I spent a
>semester with someone I thought was not only a wonderful painter but a
>wonderful teacher as well, can I then tell you what she did that I thought
>was wonderful. I could describe my experiences, but then would you "all
>benefit from them." This is the troublesome thing about teaching: it is
>difficult to replicate from one place, classroom, teacher, group of students,
>to another.
>I just finished reading Mike Rose's book, Possible LIves? He travels around
>the country looking into classrooms that he considers excellent. And they are
>excellent. But what you learn from the stories is not to do what these
>teachers did. But to think about teaching the way these teachers think about
>teaching.
>
>Terry, what do you think?
>-Fred

Fred,

Thanks for the tip on Mike Rose's book. Sounds like a great project.

I think we can learn from one another about teaching and learning if we
share our experiences, including how we think about teachng and learning.
I assume that good teachers are very creative and will adapt practices to
fit their particular teaching circumstances.

Terry

  • Reply: Teresa Tipton: "Re: Blue Trees"