Re: painting teachers

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
EVasso
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 20:47:20 -0400

<< Fred wrote:
>I had painting teachers at the university who did things that violated all
>the rules of Madeline Hunter, but from whom I learned wonderful things.

Fred, please tell us what these wonderful things are that these painting
teachers did and tell us about the wonderful things you learned so we can
all benefit from them.
Thanks,
Terry Barrett >>

Terry,
In a way, I think you might be missing my point. When I say that I spent a
semester with someone I thought was not only a wonderful painter but a
wonderful teacher as well, can I then tell you what she did that I thought
was wonderful. I could describe my experiences, but then would you "all
benefit from them." This is the troublesome thing about teaching: it is
difficult to replicate from one place, classroom, teacher, group of students,
to another.
I just finished reading Mike Rose's book, Possible LIves? He travels around
the country looking into classrooms that he considers excellent. And they are
excellent. But what you learn from the stories is not to do what these
teachers did. But to think about teaching the way these teachers think about
teaching.

Terry, what do you think?
-Fred