Re: Purpose of the listserv

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (kprs)
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 20:41:11 -0700

JANN M GALLAGHER wrote:

> I feel as though I am taking a major risk here, but I am wondering about the
> purpose of this listserv. As I understand it, the members have the
> opportunity to discuss various concerns that connect to what we are doing in
> our classrooms and in our lives.
>
> I was very interested in the discussion generated by Dr. Terry Barrett,
> because so many members had contributions to make. The whole process
> involved me and engaged me.
>
> What someone posted about a product that she had for sale in a catalog
> derailed the discussion. I thought it was a sales pitch, and I was offended
> by it. I would hate for this group to become a home shoppers' network.
>
> Other contributors have written something like "for more information check
> my home page..." and when I was interested, I checked the home page. If a
> person has a product for sale, I think the home page is the place for
> advertising and not this discussion group.
>
> Janice M. Gallagher
>
> ---------------------
> Jann M Gallagher
> Euclid City Schools
> jmg.us

I've always seen this group as a sort of cocktail party. Personally, I
am hanging out by the potato chip/veggie dip. People drop in say some
things that peak my interest, say other things I don't need right now,
but I nod at, and others babble on about ideas or practical solutions.
And just like the cocktail party, you will make eye contact with some
people, and glaze over at others, and so it is with this listserv. If
someone is not peaking my interest (as I may be doing right now for
some) the big delete bottom complete with trash can is waiting for them.
No big whoop. But in the meantime, I might be interested in what they
are wearing, or who they are with. So,,,my point is, every one is
welcome, jump in, but keep your hands off my potato chips and dip.

San D