"studio teachers"

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
henry (taylorh)
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 10:11:22 -0700 (MST)

> Chris Merriam wrote:
>

> I observed that many of my studio teachers (note: not art ed
> professors :) ) were indeed outstanding artists, but, many did not
> have a clue as to "how" to teach! IMHO, University staff should be
> required to take and fulfilll the same educational requirements as
> an elementary teacher
>
> What do the rest of you think?
>
> Chris

I noticed this as well, and for that reason, I did not approach my
interest in art via the art department at the university. I has taken
me over twenty years to get as close as the department of art ed!

I took courses associated with commercial art and architecture,
finally getting a bachelor of science degree in interior design.
This program provided a foundation of a basic art history framework and
skills/media/technique experience that I did not get K-12 and have not
found in an art ed program. Crit and aesthetics were skipped tho and that
HAS been covered in art ed.

This worked well for me as an artist, I was not mature enough to take on
any serious projects in art until my thirtys and on my own. (this not to
generalize that ALL 20-somethings are immature, but to me it has appeared
that many of us are quite naive at that age) It is always disappointing
(but no surprise) to me to take in Faculty and MFA shows and find that the
MFA show is derivative of the Faculty offering. The divergences, are
fascinating however, and I think more revealing of student development and
potential.

-henry