(no subject)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Carolyn Roberts (b2w6w4kn)
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 20:05:34 -0700

Chris Merriam wrote:

> I observed that many of my
> studio teachers (note: not art ed professors :) ) were indeed outstanding
> artists, but, many did not have a clue as to "how" to teach!
> IMHO, University staff should be required to take and fulfilll the same
> educational requirements as an elementary teacher
> What do the rest of you think?
>
> Chris

Chris, I agree wholeheartedly. This has always been my main complaint
about the painting studio teacher that I had in undergraduate school.
After leaving the school, I have said many times that I wondered if he
was afraid someone was going to be able to paint as well as he did or if
he simply did not know "how to teach painting". His critiques were not
bad, he just did NOT teach. This was in the 70's.

I'm in graduate school now and my painting studio teacher is great! HE
knows how to TEACH and he is a very accomplished artist. He knows how
to critique your work to get more out of you without making you feel
bad.

Carolyn Roberts