Re: Video in the Artroom

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Susan T. Palfrey (stp7msb)
Sun, 22 Sep 1996 18:08:32 -0400

Mary,

I have done video animations with fourth through eighth graders using a
video camera that can be set to film 1/4 second increments. Students made
4 to 6 inch hinged oak tag and mixed media characters and then made simple
backgrounds with cut paper and paint. Working in groups they also
constructed props. Each group (about 4 students) filmed for one hour which
resulted in about a one minute film clip. For elementary students, I was
able to hire a person to come in at substitute teacher pay to supervise the
small groups filming. My eighth grade students have 75 minute blocks so
they are able to film in the back of the room in one block.

Last year my fifth grades made 30 films total. I then edited them by
regrouping them by theme and putting them to music. The only problem with
this is that our camera uses the small casettes (not 8 mm, but another
small size - I'm writing this from home and my material is at school), and
the edited second generation video was noticeably poorer in quality because
I needed to use an adapter with my VCR as I was editing. They were still
acceptable enough to put on public access Cable TV and the students and
parents loved the project.

Sue Palfrey
Falmouth Middle School
Falmouth, Maine