Studio Critiques(Terry Barrett)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Numo Jaeger and Michael Miller (jaegmil)
Sun, 22 Sep 1996 00:52:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Terry,
I recall a critique that I had at California College of Arts and Crafts back
in the '70's. My ceramics professor, Arthur Nelson, one of my most favorite
human beings, came by my work space to evaluate and critique some of my
final work for my senior show. I had decided that the only good art that had
any value at the time must be the tortured variety. It had shock value. It
was immediately powerful. So I spent time making tortured art. Faceless
women, Tortured bodies, and the seedier side of life. He said he didn't have
much to say. He was kind of disappointed. I was shocked. I was making art
just like some of the other advanced students. They recieved excellent reviews.

"What wrong with them ?" I asked.
He replied, "There is so much suffering in the world, Numo. You can choose
to show joy or suffering. Art is very powerful. As an artist can make people
smile,laugh or cry. That's what I think."

That statement Arthur Nelson made to me almost 20 years ago will stay with
me always. It had a powerful impact on my life as not just an artist or
teacher but as a human being.

Numo Jaeger
San Leandro High School
San Leandro CA