Re: Practice (Music & Art)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Leslie Miller (zandee)
Sat, 21 Sep 1996 23:17:36 -0400 (EDT)

Marge and Sandra, et al:

The music teacher at my school is one of the most creative teachers I have
worked with in all my years teaching. Another music teacher, who sadly left
us years ago, was of the same caliber.

These teachers covered music theory and in doing so have the children create
their own music. The music and the classes also were integrated with the
general curriculum a long time before it became fashionable. I have seen
original operas, individual compositions, and higher order thinking skills
in these classes. I am lucky to be the art teacher in this school and have
worked closely with these two gifted teachers. But, sadly, in my school
system there are also music educators who prefer to spend their small budget
on books for singing instead of instruments and recording tapes for
composition and creativity.

Just my opinion, but spend a day with my music teacher and you will think
of education in a new way.

Leslie Miller
Potter Road Elementary School
Framingham, MA