Re: art and science

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Cynthia McKeon (dpwstory)
Sat, 21 Sep 1996 22:42:16 -0400

Diane Shaw wrote:

>Sandy,
>Another art and science springboard -
>In May 1995 there was an exhibition on 'Science and the Artist's Book' - by
>the Smithsonian Institution Libraries Exhibition Gallery and the Washington
>Project for the Arts. I have the pamphlet from the exhibition, but I know
>there was something in the Smithsonian magazine too. Ther artists were
>given access to the collection of books, articles and pamphlets known as
>the 'Heralds of Science'. Each chose one volume and created a book that
>conveys the "subject, theory or illustration of the scientific work."
>
>"In uniting the two distinct disciplines of art and science, this exhibition
>reveals some of the common threads between the creation of art and the
>process of scientific investigation. Scientists and artists both require a
>keen sense of observation, vital powers of imagination, the persistence to
>achieve their visions through hard work and perseverance in the face of many
>challenges, and the ability to communicate their discoveries to a broader
>audience. the arrangement of these scientific texts side by side with their
>artistic offspring is a way of emphasizing aspects of creativity that are
>common to science as well as to art."
> Diane Shaw, co-curator
> May 1995
>
>Interesting.

Hello everybody,

I'm not sure where this conversation started, but wanted to let everyone
know that there will be an exhibit of Leonardo da Vinci at the Museum of
Science in Boston, MA sometime around March, 1997. There are no written
materials about this yet, but if anyone is interested I am sure that
someone at the Museum could tell you a bit more about the exhibit. (I'm
really excited about this, and am trying to see if I can get my school to
sponsor a field trip.) If and when I find out more, I'll give it a post.

Cynthia McKeon
Elementary Art Teacher
Foster Elementary
Hingham Public Schools