Re: Lesson Plans: - Cheap

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
MARY E SKARDA (maryskarda)
Sat, 21 Sep 1996 19:56:53 EDT

This is early, but after Easter the little plastic eggs go on sale for
next to nothing - make "Faberge Eggs'" with paints, decoupage, glitter,
sequins and Elmers. Don't forget to study Faberge first....

How about dipping candles? Collect old candle stubs and broken crayons
(for color) add a pound of paraffin, melt in coffee can in a cast off
electric skillet in water. Use cheap kite string, dip in wax, dip in a
can of ice water, smooth with finger tips.
Repeat 'til desired size. Kids love this. Don't forget to study the
Pilgrims and don't let the wax get over 180 - 200 degrees - the wax will
melt off of the string.

Try Batik with the same skillet and wax sans the crayon color. Use
potato masher, wafflette irons (those star, tree and flower shaped metal
irons you and your mother used to dip in batter and make those wonderful
pastries with...) or any other iron that your imagination dredges up, dip
in wax and place on muslin fabric. I use either old sheets or sale
muslin. Paint over finished wax design with rit dye (three powdered
packages - say navy blue, purple, and fuschia - this will last a life
time mixed a pint or so at a time) using what ever large brushes you have
on hand. Iron out wax between two pieces of paper towel. If the kids
want a crinkled look, wad the cold fabric before dying. We have also
dyed t - shirts this way. The iron sets the color. Navy blue dye only
looks like African "Adira" cloth. Be sure and study the Africans and/or
the Indonesian origins of batik.

Have fun - P.S. Do you live where the soil is predominantly clay? We
do, so we dig our own clay, create whatever (Indian pots, beads ,etc.)
and fire it. It's free and gorgeous!