Re: Practice (Music & Art)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (kprs)
Sat, 21 Sep 1996 08:13:32 -0700

Sandra Hildreth wrote:

> Mark Joyce's statements about "practice" within the visual arts as compared
> to "practice" within music are quite interesting. However, I can also think
> of many students who drop out of music because they cannot take the
> continuous rudimentary practice that goes on. If the visual arts stressed
> such practice would we not also drive students away? I'm not saying that
> practice is not worthwhile, but just that making it a regular chore would
> perhaps weed out too many students. That brings me back to the art as play
> discussion too. Could it be that the visual arts, because unique,
> personally created products are the primary goal, cannot really be compared
> with music, in which skills at performing someone elses unique, personally
> created products is the primary goal? (No offense intended towards
> performing artists).
>
> Sandra Hildreth <shildret>
> Art 7-12, Madrid-Waddington Central School, Madrid, NY 13660
> Art Methods, St. Lawrence University, Canton, NY 13617

I am not a musician either, however, I have seen various pieces
interpreted differently by the individual violinist, orchestra or
vocalist. So I do not believe that a musician is a only a conduit for
the composer anymore than I believe that an actor is merely a conduit for
a playwright. As an actor (albeit minor) I struggle to give the
character voice and life within the context of the words, and I would
believe that a musician struggles to give the piece voice and life as
well. And the "art" lies within that struggle.

San D