Re: if I play is that OK???

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Teresa Tipton (ttipton.wa.us)
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 10:42:51 -0700 (PDT)

The real problem I have with art teachers is that they talk too much
period. Sometimes the intellectual constructs which dissect the world and
words into this and that, either or, yes and no, good and bad, trivializes
the real meaning of questions and responses. If we explained and analyzed
less perhaps there would be more art. And perhaps we, as teachers/artists
would also do more art. Which is not to say don't analyze!

But this position of concern based upon assumed fear of program reduction
somehow misses the point of the question, and perhaps has missed the point
of connecting art with play. How terribly unplayful!

Art education has been in the position of justifying itself for over
twenty-five years in american public schools, and in case anyone cares to
notice, more programs are being cut than are being supported with
increased teachers, classtime for students, and funding. So all of our
words have somehow failed in this most basic of battles for a rightful
place in the education of the whole child/student/adult.

What do you have to lose? Why not be daring, bold, provocative, eccentric,
and unconventional in how you promote art? Maybe art as play will redirect
physical education budgets to the arts.

play on!
teresa tipton

On Mon, 16 Sep 1996