Re: is art play is that OK???

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mark Alexander (Alexander)mamjam)
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 00:32:37 -0500

Dear dabssw,

Of course art is play. With the right approach and some knowledge, even
mathematics is play. But I think there are problems with art teachers
talking too much about the play part, though. There are problems with how
the frivolous sound of the word 'play' impacts on the politics of the
situation. If we emphasize the play part, our programs might be in danger
of reduction, to make way for more serious studies. So when we rationalize
why and explain how we teach what we do, lets talk about the essential
tools and skills we art teachers must impart to the next generation. The
truth of the matter is, people learn best while playing. So when we talk
to the next generation, lets just introduce the games and play. If we do
our jobs well, they'll learn without even being aware of it.

Mark Alexander
1-8 art teacher
Lee H. Kellogg School
Falls Village, CT
USA

On 9/16 dabssw wrote:
>Is art play? Before you all take a gasp of air at this as a possible thought,
>please take a moment read on and think in a broad context.
>Is there a part of art that might be play?
>If there is a part of art that is play, what part is it?
>Is there anything wrong in part or all of art being play?
>Isn't it possible to learn through play?
>Can play touch and open alternative areas of thought and so increase
>creativity?
>Play is enjoyment, fun, exploration, research, and daring to go beyond.
>Thank you.

  • Reply: Teresa Tipton: "Re: if I play is that OK???"