marbleized paper recipe

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mark Alexander (Alexander)mamjam)
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 20:48:35 -0500

On 9/12 Sally Colburn wrote:

>I am looking for recipes for: water-based marbelized printing, AND for
>directions for "Bubble Printing."
>Thanks to anyone with information on these.
>Sally

Dear Sally and ArtsEdNet:

I have this paper marbling recipe I got from Crayola. Is this what you
need? I don't know what "Bubble Printing" is. Good luck,

Mark

Experiment with marbling on pre-washed cloth, absorbent paper or other
porous materials to produce unusual monoprints. Cheap construction paper
seems to work better than the good stuff.

1. Sponge or coat surfaces to be marbled with a solution made from 2
tablespoons of alum mixed in 1 pint hot water. Fabric and other materials
can be allowed to dry, but most paper, except construction paper, should be
kept moist. Cheap construction paper does not need to be pre-treated with
alum.

2. Fill a large shallow container such as a baking pan with undiluted
liquid starch to about 1" depth. Skim the surface with newspaper strips
cut to the width of the pan to break surface tension.

3. Mix acrylic paint with water to a "light cream" consistency.

4. Drop paint onto the starch and manipulate with a T-shaped pin or needle,
hair pick, comb made of T-shaped pins, or whisk made of rubber bands to
create designs. Try dropping paints on top of one another in bull's-eye
fashion or splattering and combing. Don't overwork the design, as it may
break up.

5. Lay paper or fabric on top of paint, allowing the middle to touch the
color first, until saturated. The corners of the paper will turn up.

6. Lift the paper or fabric up and let excess solution drip off. Rinse
gently with clean water.

7. Skim starch surface with newspaper strips and let excess paint fall to
the bottom. The solution can be used repeatedly for about a week but will
deteriorate rapidly in warm weather. Refrigerate starch to save.

=A9 1996 Binney & Smith. All materials are provided for non-commercial
educational use. To contact Binney & Smith, maker of Crayola products,
write to Crayola, PO Box 431, Easton, PA 18044-0431 or call 1-800-CRAYOLA.