Re: Special Needs Students

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
NTIEVA Student Assistant 3 (ntieva3)
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 11:31:19 CST6CDT

> Date: 04 Sep 96 21:50:56 EDT
> From: "Stephen E. Parsons" <75762.646>
> To: ART Teachers <artsednet>
> Subject: Special Needs Students

> I'm new to ARTSEDNET. I am a middle school art teacher, and I
> have a blind student. I'm looking to share ideas and
> modifications for DBAE lessons. I'm currently teaching a unit
> on Elements and Principles. Any help greatly appreciated!!!
>
> Cindy Parsons

Here are some resources I ran across when I did a paper on
making museums accessible to people with disabilities:

What Color is the Wind: Insights into Art and Visual Impairment
by Sue Blagden & John Everett, NSEAD, The Gate House, Wilshire:
1992.

Darwing and the Blind: Pictures to Touch by John M. Kennedy,
Yale University Press.

Hailstones and Halibut Bones by Mary O"Neill, A Doubleday Book
for Young Readers, New York: 1961.

Art Education for the Blind
935 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10021
212-579-5100 and their 22-volume set, Art History Thorugh Touch
and Sound: A Multisensory Guide for the Blind and Visually
Impaired; they also do outreach programs with a number of
museums

Bliseum, New Vision Through Tactile Perception
107 Suffolk Street
Suite 310, Room 317
New York, NY 10002
212-254-0723; they have done tactile exhibits with Braille
labels and are working on a completely unlit gallery open to
both blind and sighted. The docents who will guide people
thorugh this gallery will be blind.

ARC Gallery
1040 W. Huron
Chicago, IL 60622
312-733-2787
ARCGallery; programs for and by visually impaired
artists

The Lighthouse Inc.
36-20 Northern Blvd.
Long Island City, NY 11101
1-800-334-5497; raised line drawing kits, portable cassette
players, and magnifiers

Hope this helps!

Rebecca