Re: Medieval art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Ruth Voyles (rvoyles)
Sun, 08 Sep 1996 18:15:13 -0500 (EST)

Lisa:

I have done clay gargoyles, illuminated letters, stained glass ( I use
sharpie markers on scraps and ends from the laminating machine, but
wet/dry acetate or transparency sheets work also. When they are
finished we mat them in black and put foil behind the windows. The
kids love these). Imaginary animals are another thing they like to do. we
look at examples in the galleries of composite animals from the middle
ages such as the griffin, mermaid, unicorn, dragon, etc. Then they
design their own imaginary animal and make it out of clay, paper
mache, paint, pastels, or markers.

I have also done clay castles, castles using one or two-point perspective,
and foam-cor castles. We have designed and drawn, painted or plaster cast
a coat of arms. Another really popular project is to design royal sceptres,
crowns and knights helmets out of paper mache. These are very challenging.
The first time I did them I was afraid it would be too juvenile for them,
but they loved it. We research the idea first, they do sketches and
then build an armature to paper mache over.

I have also had students design, draw and paint or color rose windows on
paper. Plaster casting in styrofoam plates is another thing I have done
with the rose window designs.

For the Renaissance, I do alot with perspective devices, portraits,
cathedral design etc.

Ruth