Re: School-to-Work for the Vis.Arts

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (kprs)
Sat, 07 Sep 1996 17:04:08 -0700

Sidnie Miller wrote:

> Dear Susanne, My school is applying for a grant to purchase equipment to
> develop a school to work program. It's still in the concept stage but the
> plan is to buy a plotter that connects to a computer and is able to create
> large posters--apparently both printed and cut from plastic. I don't
> really understand the product and won't until I can get my hands on it,
> but the gyst of the thing is that our school will go into a business of
> selling custom-made posters. We are supposed to work with as many areas
> of the school as possible and work with as many business people as
> possible. My thought was to have a local stationary/gift/office supply
> store work as our main mentor and we could actualy market the product
> through his store. We also want to have an accountant come in and help us
> with setting up books, taxes??? etc., and also we want a lawyer to come in
> to discuss copyright etc of designs. We are supposed to apply for the
> grant soon and will know if we have it by the end of October. It sounds
> really interesting and should give us a good idea of the trials and
> tribulations of the small business person. I'll let you know if it
> happens. Sid
>
> ###########################
> # Sidnie Miller #
> # Elko Junior High School #
> # 777 Country Club Drive #
> # Elko, NV 89801 #
> # 702-738-7236 #
> ###########################

My art club already works hand in hand with the Distributed Education
Program at school (business department and students) and sells product
(hand made jewelry) in the school store. The business department got the
grant and we collaborate with their classes doing the books and marketing
and my kids designing ordering supplies and making the product. If you
have ever sold "product" you know that you are never adequately
compensated for your time, energy, etc, so my students had a rude
awakening about "what the market will bear". I still refer to my last
email asking what is the mission of school to work? Crafts at this level
is definitely not going to put food on anyones table. Higher end crafts,
ie The American Craftsperson, has either gone to a studio environment, or
learned and works out of guilds or their own home, and have doing
original pieces over longer period of times. My kids' precious metals
consist of plastic wood found objects etc.....and while certainly amusing
are still limited in time and scope.

San D