Re: artsednet-digest V1 #278

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Barbara Creasy (bcreasy)
Sat, 7 Sep 1996 12:47:19 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Teresa Tipton <ttipton.wa.us>
> Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 06:10:55 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Re: Blind students
>
> Hi Marilyn - another variation on this ida is to have an object under a
> box with an opening for one person to put their hands in, but not view
> what's inside; they sit with a partner and describe outloud what the
> object feels like; the other person has to draw what's being described -
> then you lift up the box and both people compare what was felt/drawn with
> what it is. Then you switch. Good for high school students.

Have you actually done this with a blind student? How did he feel?
Because perceptions are different if you have never seen something, the
result is not the same. Sometimes it might work. I can tell you from
experience, though, it can be embarrasing to be singled out. When the
others are giggling under the blindfolds, it is just a game. They know
they can take off the blindfold and see. When there's no blindfold to
remove and you still can't see, you are reminded again how different you
are.

Barbara Creasy
bcreasy