blind kids in art class

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Barbara Creasy (bcreasy)
Fri, 6 Sep 1996 17:50:17 -0400 (EDT)

As a teacher at a school for blind kids (with an active art department I
might add) I would be glad to help you with ideas. I missed the original
post though. Is the child totally blind? light perception? color
discrimination? low vision? It makes a big difference. Are there other
handicapping conditions? What is the age/grade level? I think you'll
find that there are many more things you can do than you realize. Keep in
mind that the same things that work for blind kids (tactual, testures,
shapes, sounds, movement...) are also what make art more interesting for
your sighted kids. Sculpture is good if the child has appropriate
experiences (knows what things look like), junk art is fun, collages,
quilts, helping with murals (I had a totally blind child, aged 14, with
the mind of a 3 year old and CP to boot that enjoyed and did a great job
using a sponge dipped in tempera paint to make the sky for the mural our
entire class made in the hallway.) If you want particular shapes colored
in, use stencils. There are ALL sort of things that are possible!

Barb
P.S. I can help you with raised line ideas also. Do you have colored glue
available in your area? The whole class could use this to outline things.
Kids like "painting" with it and when it dries, you have raised, colorful
lines. It's great with the neon colors. Encourage the entire group to so
at least a few tactual projects so ALL can participate and not feel
singled out!

> From: Kandrbrt
> Subject: Re:blind student
>
> Hi Cindy,
> If I had a student in my class who was blind, I might design a tactile box
> project--perhaps something that the other students in the class would
> experience with a blind fold. They could all work on the same project.
> Perhaps a set of boxes you can put your hand into that express some feeling
> or emotion. What would the "Love" box feel like?? Perhaps velvet with some
> rose thorns thrown in for good measure. You could really fly with this one.
> What would an "Anger " box feel like?? Lots of rough knots??
> Teri Brudnak
> Corona del Mar High School

bcreasy or bcreasy

Contact me for information on these mailing lists if you are interested:
Lupus-fam - the support group for friends and family members
Hang-Out - a MODERATED list for teens
The Unicorns Club - a MODERATED list for pre-teens