run your own gallery

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
KPRS (kprs)
Tue, 03 Sep 1996 21:20:43 -0700

Mcracker wrote:

> San D- Thanks for the reality check, and of course you are right about the
> rights of the patron. I'm still angry tho-- primarily because of the
> implication that the students' art is not "good" enough for public places. I
> do appreciate your thoughtful comments -- on so many topics! I envy you your
> access to SoHo and ANY museums! The nearest museum is 3hrs. from us, making
> field trips major major events!
> Marcia

My art club ran a gallery in the school. They organized shows. The first
show they did was a group piece. They converted the old room into a
complete brown paper room, a al George Segal, covering the room entirely
ceiling to floor in brown paper, brown paper couch,dog, cat, lamp, man,
tv (it worked!), remote control in his hand, and brown paper popcorn and
bowl. They wore brown paper clothes to the opening. The next show was an
open invitational to high schools in the area. They picked the work,
designed the display and hung it. The next show was a faculty (non art
teachers) show. We even hosted a traveling art show from a local
college's art department. Each month there was a different show. They
learned about critiquing, judging, theme shows, display, invitations, and
opening receptions. Notice, I say "ran"...although very successful, with
our state putting requirements on basic skills education, the room used
was confiscated to be used as a classroom. I am sharing this, because
YOU can be the local gallery for your students and community!!!. Don't
wait for your area to get a gallery, GIVE THEM ONE!

San D