Re: Museums

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
henry (taylorh)
Tue, 03 Sep 1996 12:34:14 -0700 (MST)

Let's not "throw them out." I think we can respect and hold onto an older
variant of our western culture. Traditionally, in our culture, (at least
of late and especially here in the U.S.) we've had little tradition. We've
been willing to toss out the old and bring in the new. We've lost touch
with quite a bit as a result

I do agree that we need new alternatives and that excitement and
participation would be important things to incorporate in any new
institutions. Museums and galleries are such isolated institutions in many
ways. They are not a part of life without a special effort and intention.
Maybe we need more art on the street and in the community... Maybe this
TechnoCulture needs to develop some serious "folk arts" or notions of
"folk art" which more people feel drawn to and feel comfortable expressing
themselves through. (maybe we need a folk art modality adapted to the
hi-tech hurriedness of this familiar world)

Whatever you think we need, maybe we should, if we can be so bold, go out
into the communities and participate in them, share some sense of
aesthetic and personal elaboration with the people we would like to invite
in.

-henry