Re: public domain art web site

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
henry (taylorh)
Tue, 03 Sep 1996 12:03:53 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 2 Sep 1996, Diane Gregory wrote:

> There is a directory at the end of the page and it is organized by the
> name of the artist. Unfortunately, most of the art work is done by dead,
> white European males.

It seems that it is OK to appropriate from "dead white males". It appears
that it may verge upon cultural and sexual imperialism to place the work
of "subalterns" in the public domain.

There is some humor in the situation, But I think I must say it with an
honestly straight face. Over the years, especially living here in the
southwest U.S., I'm quite aware that simply because something may legally
(under British/U.S. common law) qualify in some way to be considered part
of the public domain, there are individuals who will be hurt or offended
if I make the assumption and act upon it. Further, just as when white
settlers made bargains and gained permission to settle on specific land,
the right of those who granted such permissions has been brought into
legal question after the fact.

I no longer expect to find such material presented in the public domain
and when I do find it I am loathe to avail myself of it.

In any case thanks for the URLs Diane AND Ken.

henry
(not bitten, just twice shy)