Re: NOT art related......

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Alix Peshette (apeshet)
Sun, 1 Sep 1996 06:43:56 +0000

> From: walkerl01@ten-nash.ten.k12.tn.us
> Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 23:06:41 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: NOT art related......
> To: artsednet

> As advertised, this is not art related. However, one of you may be able to
> help me find the info I am searching for. Our newly-elected superintendent
> takes office on 9/1. He has already begun wreaking havoc on all of us in
> various ways. I, like most of you, am an art teacher. As all of you know,
> an art room can be (& usually is!:-)) a messy place. That's fine by me. I
> compensate on really messy days by wearing jeans. Our new supt. is going to
> implement a "faculty/staff dress code". That means I, as a female
> instructor, am limited to dresses, skirt & blouse, and pant suits (yep, boys
> & girls, pant suits). Jeans can only be worn in the building when students
> are not present & those jeans must be "baggy & loose" (does that mean I
> should wear them so my undies show..ha ha). Anyway, several of my fellow
> teachers THINK there was a recent court case regarding teacher dress codes &
> the teachers won (hooray!). We are all searching for this info. If any of
> you have access to this information, I would greatly appreciate you sending
> it to me. This is awfully big talk from a man that makes $71,000 dollars a
> year. If I made that kind of $$$ I could afford to ruin my "good" clothes.
> THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
>
> Laura Walker
> WalkerL01@ten-nash.ten.k12.tn.us

Hi Laura;

Sorry to hear about the faculty dress code thing. The superintendent
sounds like an out-of-touch bureaucrat. How about suggesting 'lab coats'
for those who teach activity/lab classes? There is a certain
professional, uniformed air to these and it might tame that guy's
lock-step mentality. The cost of this should be born, of course, by
the school or district. Just keep saying the phrase: " Professional
and functional" to the guy. Good luck!

-Alix Peshette
Emerson Junior High School
Davis, CA