[teacherartexchange] New Location for IAD

---------

From: Ken Rohrer (kenroar_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 29 2012 - 00:35:25 PDT

Incredible Art Department visitors,

This coming week, The Incredible Art Department will move from the Princeton Online servers over to the incredibleart.org domain. The reason for our move is a sad one. In January of this year, Google released what they called the Panda update. Panda penalizes sites in a search based on certain criteria. The penalty lowered the search rankings of many websites, including this one. In spite of us making the necessary steps to overcome the penalty there remained one we couldn't overcome - we were in a folder on Princeton Online. Google was penalizing the entire princetonol.com domain and we were on it. Princeton Online was unable to fix the problem either. Google said the only way to fix it was to have IAD on its own domain.

I am extremely grateful to the help that Princeton Online and Peter Gibson gave me in returning IAD to the web after it took down my internet provider due to too many hits years ago. They have been great to work with since we moved there in 2001. They gave IAD free hosting, in spite of major bandwidth use, with only the requirement of a few Google ads. I wish we could have continued to work together but Google has been making it difficult for many small businesses that are online this year. Many have gone out of business due to the Panda penalty.

There are some advantages to having the site on the new domain. I will be able to do things like have an enhanced guestbook and other things I couldn't do before. So, it is with sadness that shortly you will not be able to access IAD on the Princeton Online servers. The disadvantage of course is that I now have to pay for hosting a very busy site. The bandwidth will be expensive.

Previously, the incredibleart.org domain simply pointed to the main index page on the Princeton Online servers. As of Friday night, the site is now actually located there. If you have bookmarks to IAD, this are two ways to update them. One is to go to your browser's bookmarks manager and edit the URL and the other is simply to visit the new domain and bookmark the page again while deleting the old one. If you edit the URL in your bookmarks you simply replace the initial address with the new one. Here are a few examples:

http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/lessons.html

Is now: http://incredibleart.org/lessons/lessons.html

Second example:

http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/diorama.html

Is now: http://incredibleart.org/lessons/elem/diorama.html

Next week at some point, Princeton Online will forward all visitors to the new site. All links (with a few exceptions) will forward to the main index page. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Ken Rohrer
Incredible Art Department