Re: [teacherartexchange] Abstract thinking/metaphor

---------

From: Linda Kieling (go4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 07 2011 - 17:40:08 PDT

We sometimes use topics and brainstorm lists, then combine one thing
from each - could be things like climate, place, person, feeling or
more personal like favorite food, something they are scared of and
activity they participate in....

We have done exercises where they put a word or image of animate
objects and along top of grid and inanimate down the side and create
drawing of the combinations. So if top row is house, watch, door and
the first one in the column is dog, the student draws a combo of dog
and house, dog and watch, dog and door (some will think concretely
with a dog house for example) then if 2nd is fish they would combine
fish and house, etc to create a grid of new objects/ideas.

Marvin Bartel has some great ideas including "The Conversation Game"
goshen.edu/art/ed/self.html

creatively, Linda
(middle school in Oregon)