Re: [teacherartexchange] Block printing question

---------

From: Barbara Marder (marder621_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 05 2011 - 19:34:30 PDT

Okay-hate to bug you again but went to my classroom and tried several methods-not happy.

The problem seems to be inking the block. In India the block is immersed into an ink or paint pan and stamped like a rubber stamp. When I tried this with Speedball, I got a fragmented image. Then I added paint extender and that did help but still not a clear even print. Then I used the brayer on the block itself and had a better result but brayering the block for each print was way too labor intensive. There has to be a better way.....
Maybe the surface has to be padded?
I was using paper not fabric-maybe the paper has to have rag content?

Most videos I saw on Youtube involved linoleum cuts where the plate is brayed and the paper put on top and then a dry brayer for pressure but that is not what I am trying to do.

My goal is to have a repeat pattern like a tessellation that will be easy for kids to do, and I, myself, was frustrated with the uneven color results.

Where am I going wrong here?

Thanks in advance for the rescue.

Barbara from Boston