[teacherartexchange] Merit Pay for Teachers

---------

From: Paternoster, Dana (dpaternoster_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 30 2010 - 04:22:54 PDT

I am in Delaware where there is CURRENTLY no merit pay, but we are a Race to the Top state. Race to the Top is mandating that ALL teacher's yearly evaluation will be based about (those numbers are still being defined) on student achievement. There are also provisions in Race to the Top to allow for merit pay, but that also still has to be defined. I did join the committee for non-core teachers in Delaware to attempt to both define student achievement in the arts as well as how to evaluate teachers on their student's achievement.

The meeting we had on it as a State committee included people from national organizations who went on and on about how Delaware was the first state to attempt this task and how people were waiting to see how Delaware was going to do this. Our committees are broken down by subject area and we set up on a forum site where we are supposed to be working together.

I do not see where we are making much progress, though. Is anyone else on similar committees and have any input? I have quite a few more questions about this process if anyone would like to collaborate.

Dana