Re: [teacherartexchange] NAEA Conference and Re-certification hours

---------

From: Diane Gregory (gregory.diane55_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2010 - 17:11:13 PDT

Hi Woody and Laurie,

This is an interesting question and Woody is probably correct. I was curious
because I want to offer some online professional development on the Blog site I
am creating. Since I live in Texas, I looked up this question using Google.
This is what I found in Texas at the Texas Education Agency Website:

"All persons or organizations seeking to provide Continuing Professional
Education (CPE) activities to educators for certificate renewal purposes must
register with the Texas Education Agency.

The following entities are pre-approved as providers of continuing professional
education and are required to fill out Sections A and B of the subsequent form.
• Texas public school districts;
• Regional education service centers;
• Accredited institutions of higher education;
• Professional education membership associations that have offered professional
development in Texas for at least five years and have tax exempt status, or a
state association affiliated with a national association with tax exempt status;
• Accredited non-public Texas schools;
• Texas Education Agency; and
• State Board for Educator Certification.

All other entities and organizations are not pre-approved and are required to
fill out Sections A, B, and C of the subsequent form."

My conclusion after reading this is that the NAEA would need to make application
to the state of Texas and presumably other state education agencies as well, to
get approval.

So I recommend that you and others contact the NAEA to see what they have done
about this. I bet there is a solution or answer to your good question. NAEA
would certainly be classified as a non-profit professional development
organization and would qualify. I bet if you got a form from your school
district, you could have various presenters at the Convention in Seattle sign
the form as verification of your attendance.

Contact your District Office and keep the above in mind. :-)

Good luck with this. And now, I have the form I can use to get approval for
offering professional development for re-certification at least in Texas--now I
have to find the form for all 49 other states. Thanks for the question. :-)

Cheers,

Diane Gregory