RE: [teacherartexchange] color wheel worksheet

---------

From: Amy Broady (amybroady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 26 2010 - 18:31:47 PDT

In concept, I love the idea of using icing and food coloring to teach color
theory. Unfortunately, we have VERY strict limits on food in the classrooms
where I teach. But I am now thinking of maybe using salt dough and coloring
it with food coloring or perhaps liquid watercolors. I am now eager to
develop a lesson in which my Ks get to mix their secondary colors with
something tactile.

All this talk about color theory got me thinking about different ways to
teach primary colors, and I am now thinking of developing a lesson plan that
focuses on "Primary Pies" (and maybe "Secondary Slices" as a follow up).
"Primary Pies" might work out well for Kindergarten's for their "P" week. In
brainstorming mode, I started thinking about how "Primary Pies" could have
colors that are Pasted in Place, Perhaps with Patterns Printed on them.
Polkadots would be a natural choice! Last year we composed with Polkadots
and Pinstripe Patterns drawn with colored Pencils during P week.

As I Pondered the Primary Pies, my mind wondered to the Potential of Primary
Peace Signs and Primary Pinwheels...perhaps more appropriate for first,
second graders, or 3rd graders than for the Ks.

In experimental mode, I made a pinwheel out of an equilateral triangle. It
didn't catch the wind and spin as I'd hoped. Phooey! So I made one out of a
circle that had 3 slits. Made a big difference in catching air. Worked
great! Primary Pinwheels with Secondary Centers is the direction I'm heading
in now. But do I tie it in with our annual Pinwheels for Peace display? (Our
display had to be postponed, and is now scheduled for October 5.) Usually we
only have 4th grade creating and planting pinwheels...it's one of the
highlights of 4th grade. But I'd want to do these Primary Pinwheels with a
different grade level. Hmmm. Much to consider here.

HTH someone!
Amy in TN