[teacherartexchange] RRE: Are Teachers doing remediation in Reading and Math

---------

From: Karla Caraway (kcaraway_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 26 2010 - 11:44:18 PDT

At our school, we are expected to incorporate reading strategies into our
curriculum, and have had extensive in-service training for it. We don't have to
teach "reading" outside of the art class. I have found most of these strategies
to be helpful, and our school understands that with art classes, we may not do
the requested minimum of two reading strategies every single week, and they
trust us to incorporate them into the areas of the lesson that is most
meaningful. I think it enhances the learning of art anyway, so I'm supportive.

As to math, we are encouraged to incorporate it as we can. We also are required
to keep an updated chart (by hand) of all the course grades for a group of
students (one class), and to help keep those students on track. It takes our own
time to look up their grades and record them, but supposedly we do that during
our "reading/tutoring" half hour, though I have to do it outside of school so I
can keep all my students on task, and have time to inform them of their grades
and discuss it with them.

The art teachers aren't being targeted--all of us are required to do these
things. (Even P.E. is asked to do reading strategies--and they do!)
Karla Caraway,
Springdale High School in Arkansas