Re: [teacherartexchange] Are Teachers doing remediation in Reading and Math.

---------

From: Gayle Parent (gayleparent_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 26 2010 - 07:49:19 PDT

Last year I had one extra period, once every three days. My principal assigned me to help second grade teachers with whatever they chose for me to do. They asked me to help students who were struggling with a particular math concept, or sometimes I ran a small reading group. With the math I could see the difference in one twenty minute session. With individual help I could see the light bulb come on usually. The practice was clearly helpful. Reading was fun, but I could not see a difference (I have a reading endorsement and taught reading for 17 years). It was simply time spent reading and wasn't remedial.