RE: [teacherartexchange] Merit pay for teachers

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 26 2010 - 04:48:16 PDT

Good Morning
  As I recently retired art teacher, I don't have a dog in the fight. BUT, I have instructed my younger colleagues at the high school, that once a committee is established (and I am sure there will be either on the local, county or state level) to define the parameters of merit pay, they are to run not walk to volunteer to be on that committee. The only way "non academic" teachers will be able to stand up for their disciplines is to be on the ground floor of the inevitable, merit pay. For example, by all accounts, I was considered an excellent teacher. That said, I was only observed twice a year by someone in administration. I am sure that anecdotal evidence, student, parent and colleagues played a part in the evaluation. However, I would not want my career and consequential merit raise to pivot on anecdotal evidence. My last year of teaching I decided (with merit pay in mind) to institute a "before and after" way of teaching and to document the results. As you can see in http://www.flickr.com/photos/31239756@N04/sets/72157614225226465/

we can "quantify" if we have to.

San D