re:[teacherartexchange] Art Club

---------

From: sarah k (sarah.kerns3_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 19 2010 - 09:21:39 PDT

Dear JeanE,

I was in charge of an art club the last two years, at a Catholic
middle school. I didn't know what I was doing the first year, but by
the second I realized it was best to do quick, 45 minute activities,
that were not run like lessons. The most successful semester, we did
activities each week from a different time period, starting with cave
paintings and ending with pop art. Some took more than one week to
complete, but that made it difficult if a student didn't come every
week. Some weeks I would set up "centers" and the kids could choose.
They loved it! Art club was a place to hang out with friends and make
cool "stuff." Some kids still talk about when we turned off the
lights, hung brown craft paper one the walls and pretended to be cave
people leaving our mark on history.

At the time, the kids did not have to pay extra- I only had five
classes so it was a part of my contract to offer the club once a week.
This year I have 13 classes, grades 2-8, and as of right now there is
no Art Club. There are talks about offering "workshops" where families
would pay around $20 (or whatever would cover supplies) for a 4 week
club. This way teachers can offer something very specific if they
wanted. The teachers would also get a stipend for running their
program.

Hope that helps!

Sarah K.