Re: [teacherartexchange] art clubs

---------

From: Gayle Parent (gayleparent_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 19 2010 - 09:01:36 PDT

I teach elementary art at two schools. Each year I have an art club, for which I am paid handsomely :) (joking! but I do get paid). I am able to decide how many students participate. Sometimes most of the kids participating are kids who miss out on a lot of art because they are in strings or band. Other times they participate because they just can't get enough!

The art club does whatever I want the kids to focus on, or what I think they want to focus on, based on their comments/requests. Often the focus is clay, or drawing. I usually have 8-10 students and the club runs for about 8 weeks, 1 or 2 days/week, based on the amount of time I am able to commit during that semester. Usually it's a lot of fun, and I hardly notice the extra hour I am spending at work.