Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: September 18, 2010

---------

From: Lois Girbino (lgirbino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 19 2010 - 08:14:30 PDT

re:Has anyone been in charge of the art club? And what does the art club
> do? Does your school pay you extra for the art club?
> JeanE

 I teach upper elementary art and have had an art club for the past
eight years (this year makes nine). I keep it for fifth grade only and
students sign-up for it until the club is full (sometimes we do a
lottery if we have tons of permission forms). We do not charge for art
club and I have several projects that are annual: yearbook cover,
Relay for Life (paint donated chairs that are auctioned off), Rotoball
(international animation, this will be our 3rd year), an extra clay
project, making a working 3D Op Art clock, & added this year--"One Day
on Earth". Art Club is free, and doing at least one service project
and one international project gives the students a chance to
experience art connections that just are not possible with 680
students (my teaching load). Over the years, I've gone from getting a
small hourly reimbursement to a stipend, but I always loved my club
because it is comprised of truly awesome students committed to
creativity (and not necessarily just the "gifted" artists). Some
years, this club has been the only club an autistic student could
enjoy, or a new student (painfully shy) felt they 'belonged", or a
tech-phobic student was able to make a stop-motion...Sometimes, we get
pulled in to do a quick poster for another school activity, and I like
the idea of being an "in-house" design group. I also pilot projects
with art club, then if they are successful, figure out a way to scale
them up for a grade level. Our middle school started an art club last
year because so many former elementary students wanted one, so I think
that counts as a success...Lois G.

--
Life is short, art is long...-Hippocrates