RE: [teacherartexchange] art clubs

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 18 2010 - 16:30:49 PDT

Hi Jean
  Over the years I have had art clubs. Their reasons for existance were varied and I will dilineate them next. But I NEVER ran it like another art class because when teaching high school, if you had a club that was a class, why would they sign up for your class, and the next thing you know you are part time with an art club. I think art club should be a separate experience than a classroom. It should be art for the community.

so, that said, my art clubs were either A or B:

a. The art club decorated the classroom doors for the holidays and charged the classroom (teacher or students, the teacher worked it out) for the service. What we did, back in the day, was we made 7 different designs for the classroom door windows on large brown paper, and "shopped" them around. And then once the rooms picked their designs we painted them on the windows, taping the designs in the window for the template. So you might get 15 pumpkins, 12 ghosts, 6 black cats, that sort of thing. We did all the holidays, made money and took the money and went on a field trip to a museum.

b. The art club ran an art gallery in the school (when we had an extra space to do it). They decided on a theme, put out invitations to the art teachers in the district to get kids work, collected the work, "decorated the gallery" in the theme, hung the work, made the invitations, organized a gallery opening, manned the gallery, and had shows. Some shows were in district, others out of district, some were community based. We even hosted a show of college work. Some shows were high school only, others mixed, etc, etc, etc. The kids got so into it, they also "dressed" in theme wear for the opening.

And, if you want to get "paid" to do art club, that has to be negotiated by the union as a stipend.

San D