RE: [teacherartexchange] contemporary living artists

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 17 2010 - 04:47:44 PDT

Good Morning
While I don't have any lists to contribute right now, I do have a suggestion as a culmination to your project. Many years ago our school had an art gallery (it has since been refurbished as a classroom). My art club ran it, picked the themes of the shows, and then invited artists to submit work, they then curated the show. One show that was VERY successful was "Hidden Talents", a show that invited faculty, staff and parents to enter any kind of art from quilts to drawings. Not only was it diversed, but it brought to light the word "contemporary" in a different context. Students talked for years about how the Biology teacher did watercolors of the shore, and the 70 year old secretary was a fabulous quilter, and who knew that so and so's father was a photographer. It might be interesting for your students to find contemporary artists in the community, interview them, and showcase their work.

San D