Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] 6th grade art

From: Peggy Woolsey (eoolspeg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2010 - 05:49:48 PDT

Such a good statement San D! I often found myself teaching with an AP
mindset, and really it probably wasn't that appropriate. Still, it is
a struggle to create a form within and around which everyone can work.
Solidity is so mutable sometimes! My brain is calming down a little
with retirement, but thankfully, yours is still in bloom.
On 14-Sep-10, at 3:19 PM, San D Hasselman wrote:

> In an honest discussion, there are no hard feelings. Sometimes I
> think we try to do too much. Less truly is more when teaching. I
> have often been heard to say when I taught, "we aren't an Arts High'
> meaning, if we give solid lessons students can move on to bigger and
> better studio experiences at college. We teach them to problem
> solve, and about principles and elements, and in turn they can go on
> to more complicated experiences as they move up the educational
> ladder. For example there was no need for our high school students
> to learn how to cast silver in a jewelry class, but there was a need
> to show them how to design and use the jeweler's saw and cut and
> manipulate nickle silver.
> San D

To unsubscribe go to