Re: [teacherartexchange] 6th grade art

---------

From: Gayle Parent (gayleparent_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2010 - 06:37:35 PDT

Jean, is this your first year at this school? I'm wondering because I have notice that one gets severely tested their first year at a school. Not that that will help you this year, but sometimes it helps to know it will get better.

Also, if you think it's acceptable to respond this way you could tell the young woman that she can call it the "no look" contour, but the rest of the United Sates pretty much calls it a blind contour. It's hard, but don't let them see that they are getting your goat, because sometimes that just eggs them on, in the same way that teasing someone is fun if they get a reaction.

I teach K-6 but I don't have a syllabus or any guidance from the district, so I do the best I can using the state standards as my guiding light, and trying to plan lessons they will like. I also ask them to respectfully submit ideas. We do a brainstorming time where we discuss what they like and what they don't like in my lessons. Always, I get some kids who like each lesson. In other words they are all interesting to some of the kids, and none of them suits all of the kids it seems. Not that this is all about pleasing the students, but I do this as part of making the lessons meaningful to them. In addition, I introduce them to a variety of materials, and every lesson deals with state standards.

I hope some of this helps. I'm in my fourth year at a school where the kids pretty much had me for lunch every day in my first year. It was awful. I left with a headache every day, didn't sleep well, and wondered if I could make it through the year.

Gayle