Re: [teacherartexchange] 6th grade art

---------

From: Heather Leal (hleal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2010 - 05:56:12 PDT

When I taught 6th grade, I saved contour and blind contour until a
little later in the year when I had built a bit of a relationship with
them- they were a little more trusting of me and were beginning to buy
into the idea of them being artists. They also knew each other better-
contour was pretty strange stuff to them, out of the comfort zone and
they were more willing to take risks in front of their peers later. I
started with the idea of Making A Mark- introduced cave paintings at
the beginning, and we did our own cave paintings with found object
brushes (leaves, sticks, feathers) on sponge painted backgrounds that
looked like rocks. Then we tore the edges and covered the walls going
into our room so it looked like a cave. We talked about the images in
the cave paintings and they did the contemporary equivelent- things
that they liked to do, their animals, etc.
Just a thought on why you are getting some resistence-

Heather