Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: September 10, 2010

---------

From: Lois Girbino (lgirbino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2010 - 08:51:17 PDT

Re:Help for developmentally disabled students in Digital Art

 I teach some Photoshop to my fourth & fifth graders as part of my
regular art curriculum, and think that I have one project that might
be a success with your students, "Typeface Faces". It teaches the
selection tool, the Type tool, and using layers. Basically, each
facial feature is its own layer, start with a round letter like "o",
"p" or "u". Select it, then transform>free transform>apply. Add a new
layer, choose a new font, make another facial feature (like an eye).
If they are catching on, start changing colors. My students love to
see me grab a bad layer & throw it in the garbage can (instead of
deleting from the drop-down). The repetition of those steps really
helps all my students, and I keep laminated instructions by each
computer, run a Powerpoint on the Smartboard, plus the 1:1. In the
end, some students make animals, even, and everyone now understands
layers enough that we can go onto other things. Another program I am
really fond of is "ArtRage" & it is really cheap, my "Adaptive Art"
class has made cool things with that program, which we put up on the
Smartboard. I think Photoshop is such a dense program, that limiting
the tools in the beginning will help your disabled students.

--
Life is short, art is long...-Hippocrates