RE:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: September 09, 2010

---------

From: Erwin, Douglas B. (DErwin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2010 - 15:52:48 PDT

Hi Fran;
I've had 80 minute block periods with 3rd and 5th grade. Third grade was a stretch...it was a long time to keep their attention...I would think the more you have unstructured materials available for them to investigate or work with partners, the better it would be. Other Art's (Music) colleagues found that much time was not productive, again because of the age of the students. The old adage "prep - prep - prep" is at play here...the more the better. The more organized your studio the better. I don't want to sound like an old ----, even though I am, I suggest these things because I've been there and done that, and wished at the time I had a mentor to help me through the brambles.
Doug