[teacherartexchange] block periods

---------

From: Jean Snow (4nutmeg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2010 - 10:41:45 PDT

I always have 70-90 minutes for teaching elementary art. I begin
every lesson with looking at a master or contemporary professional
artist work that somehow relates to the hand's on project. If you
have an LCD projector connected to a computer you can make great
powerpoints about each artist by copying images and adding some info.
I find that using the internet directly to show artwork wastes too
much time and it is risky in content, but I use it to develop my
powerpoints. We also have a nice collection of posters of great
artworks and an old art program with many artworks on overheads. If
you're in an old school, there is usually something around somewhere
containing artworks. The kids absolutely love looking at art and
imagining the story and analyzing the picture in many ways. We
usually spend about 15 minutes discussing the art! Also, after your
project, do a critique. Set some constructive criticism rules and the
critique is your opportunity to solidify the concepts that the project
was supposed to teach. I teach K-5 art and this works for all of
them. Good luck! Jean

fccc76d4e0705c19@lists.pub.getty.edu