Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] Block periods

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2010 - 07:00:29 PDT

Block schedules for the 2nd grade - how strange. How often will you
see the children ? You would have time for the students
to talk about their work. Why not incorporate a book/story time
related to the lesson - Linnea in Monet's Garden comes to mind.

On Sep 9, 2010, at 7:32 AM, Fran Legman wrote:

> This year, I was given block periods of 80 minutes for second, third
> and fourth grade. Although I am very excited about this prospect as
> I can incorporate much more into my lessons and they can paint or
> sculpt without me rushing them them to clean up, I am starting to
> feel a bit anxious about second grade. (The children haven't
> started school yet) I am planning on trying artist trading cards
> with the fourth grade. I haven't done those before and would
> appreciate anyone's input about creating the ATC's.
> At the end of the 40 minute period, the first, second and third
> grade children usually did "free draw" for a few minutes . The
> fourth and fifth graders had a choice of the million art postcards I
> purchased during my lifetime - then they had to reproduce it on a 6
> x 9 paper using colored pencils and try as hard as they could to
> match the drawing and the colors.
> Does anyone teach block periods with young children? If so how do
> you structure the 80 minutes? I know 40 minutes was usually too
> short, but will 80 minutes be too long?
> Thanks, Fran

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

Join me as a friend on facebook: