[teacherartexchange] Block periods

---------

From: Fran Legman (fran.legman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2010 - 06:32:32 PDT

This year, I was given block periods of 80 minutes for second, third and fourth grade. Although I am very excited about this prospect as I can incorporate much more into my lessons and they can paint or sculpt without me rushing them them to clean up, I am starting to feel a bit anxious about second grade. (The children haven't started school yet) I am planning on trying artist trading cards with the fourth grade. I haven't done those before and would appreciate anyone's input about creating the ATC's.

 At the end of the 40 minute period, the first, second and third grade children usually did "free draw" for a few minutes . The fourth and fifth graders had a choice of the million art postcards I purchased during my lifetime - then they had to reproduce it on a 6 x 9 paper using colored pencils and try as hard as they could to match the drawing and the colors.

Does anyone teach block periods with young children? If so how do you structure the 80 minutes? I know 40 minutes was usually too short, but will 80 minutes be too long?

Thanks, Fran