Re: [teacherartexchange] HS Digital photo curriculum.

---------

From: Barbara Marder (marder621_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 05 2010 - 16:23:13 PDT

Hi Jim,

I have urban kids and this has been a winner of a painting lesson-super-structured too.

I am teaching them about color and begin simply with the color wheel-in fact I have them fill out a photocopied template and have a large color wheel on my wall for reference.

Then on 12 x 18 90lb white paper I have them sketch with pencil lightly a snake, spiral or letters of their name stylistically.

with a ruler they add stripes to the shapes of the drawing. Then stripes in the background on a diagonal-in other words we have an interrupted stripe pattern

Lightly they pencil in roygbv in the background stripes and the shape stripes (I even play Greg Percy's Roy G Bv song they find it too corny-but it reinforces the lesson)

Then with tempera cakes that I put on a cheap large plastic tray they paint all the R's, then all the O's etc.

The results are startling.

I cannot add an attachment but if you email me at marder621@rcn.com, I shall send you some finished examples.

Okay after this, I have them hooked-so I continue with color unit having them express an element (or two) in a painting (air eart fire water) then I proceed to landscape using whatever artist I am into-changes each year. Lat year I used Albert Bierstadt.

Before you know it everyone is painting!

Barbara from Boston photocopied template